Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cupid and Psyche

Earlier in the week, I began reading "Till We Have Faces" by C. S. Lewis. 
It's a retelling of the Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche. I've always loved seeing how artists portray various characters (like those in Greek mythology, as well as Bible stories, etc). I fell in love with these two below paintings of Cupid and Psyche.

They're both by William Bouguereau. 


I really like that she was painted with butterfly wings.
Psyche is the Greek word for "butterfly".

Aren't they enchanting?

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that story, but I love Greek mythology as well! I used to read them when I was younger, maybe I'll look this up, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so lovely ! xxxxxxx

    Check out my giveaway!
    alwaysxbeing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine art is always so inspirational. Beautiful!
    xox
    Marusya V
    http://crashingred.com

    ReplyDelete